After the blasting count of firefox 4 downloads,Mozilla firefox undergoes rapid release development cycle to deliver new features, performance enhancements, security updates and stability improvements to users faster.So mozilla launched yeaterday the new testing channel and calls it Aurora.
The currently available channels are,
- Nightly test builds – Includes features not tested by Mozilla QA
- Firefox Beta – Broadly test the stability of new features and improvements in the next version of Firefox
- Firefox Final Release – Delivers the polished and stable features in Firefox to hundreds of millions of users
And now comes the new channel Aurora,which makes its place between the nightly and beta stages.Accordimg to mozilla,
The Aurora channel as part of a broader initiative to create channels which deliver features to users at various levels of quality and polish. The Aurora channel is where users can test the latest features and innovations. Users can expect an increase in polish from the raw, cutting edge features in our nightly builds. Aurora releases may not be as stable as beta or final releases.
The image below should explain you better the new development process of Firefox…
Each firefox channel release has a unique logo and the releases can be downloaded from the channels page.The first aurora release is Firefox 5.0a2.To change between channels you can use this method…
- Goto about:config (type it in the address bar)
- Create a new string called app.update.desiredChannel — any value.It doesn’t matter.
- Then,open Help > About Firefox and now you will be able to switch channels
The new about boxes will look like these…
What do you think about the new channel feature?Share your views in comments…