You might have seen that in Google chrome the address bar is used to search as well by just entering the search terms.If you have migrated from Chrome to firefox 4 or love that feature of Chrome you would sure miss it.Not a problem.Here is a tweak to change your address bar into a search box when you enter some keywords instead of a URL.Don’t worry it will still work as an address bar when you enter a URL.
- Type about:config in your firefox address bar (will also be a search box in future 😛 ) and press Enter key.
- You may get a warning message…Click the button I’ll be careful, I promise! to continue.
- In the Filter box enter keyword.URL ,and the entry will appear below.
- Right click on the entry and choose Modify.
- You will be prompted to enter a value by a pop up box named Enter String Value.
- Enter a corresponding value for different search engine from the list given below.Hit OK.Close the tab.
- Now entering a string in the address (may be search now) bar will perform a search in your favorite search engine.
Here is a list of values to be used for different search engines…
- Google: http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#q=
- Bing: http://www.bing.com/search?q=
- Yahoo: http://www.search.yahoo.com/search?p=
- Ask: http://www.ask.com/web?q=
- Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=
If You want any other search engine, just perform any search on the search engine of your choice and in the address displayed in the address bar,just eliminate the query you entered along with any symbols like ‘+’ or ‘-‘ and the text following it.
- Searching for the keyword testing in Google the URL you get is, “http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#q=testing&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=658f78b32cc70994&hl=en”.
- I have highlighted the keyword testing in the above URL.
- Delete the keyword and all the charecters following it.
- So you get “http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#q=” which you can use as the value for keyword.URL entry in firefox configuration.
Can’t find the value to specify for any search engine?Mention the Search engine in the comment and i will help you…
Did you find the trick useful?Express your thoghts in comments…Share the article…