Microsoft Excel is one great product in the Office bundle. Power of Excel is known to all those who use it to the most. But putting those features in a different way to do a different thing than calculation, is done by few. A Chartered Accountant from Canada , Cary Walkin has developed a complete RPG game in Excel.
The game named Arena is a Role Playing Game is a complete game developed using Excel.The game features as specified by Cary Walkin in a blog post are,
- Random enemies: Over 2000 possible enemies with different AI abilities.
- Random items: 39 item modifiers result in over 1000 possible item combinations and attributes.
- An interesting story with 4 different endings depending on how the player has played the game.
- 8 boss encounters, each with their own tactics.
- 4 pre-programmed arenas followed by procedurally generated arenas. Each play-through has its own challenges.
- 31 Spells. There are many different strategies for success.
- 15 Unique items. Unique items have special properties and can only drop from specific enemies.
- 36 Achievements.
- This is all in a Microsoft Excel workbook.
Cary has created a Wikia page for the game too.More interesting news is that Cary keeps improvising the game for the bugs encountered.A stable version Arena.xlsm 1.0 has been released already which works across all office Excel versions after Office 2007.